Having travelled solo for more than two decades, sometimes all we need is a good travel quote to empower and motivate us.
Feel inspired to travel with travel quotes to begin your solo travels. And if you're on the road and need a dose of inspiration to get motivated about your trip again, get empowered with these lonely travel quotes, the perfect solo travelling quotes.
Inspiring Quotes For Travelling Alone
Unsure if you can travel solo or just need a boost of inspiration to help you finally plan and book that trip? Feel inspired to start travelling with these empowering travel quotes to propel your wanderlust and leave those fears behind. (Find more travel quotes here)
- “You don't need to know it all. Just take the first step and the rest will become clear as you move forward.” – Girl about the Globe.
2. “You must go on adventures to find out where you belong.” – Sue Fitzmaurice.
3. “Traveling alone will be the scariest, most liberating, life-changing experience of your life. Try it at least once!” – Unknown.
4. “Jobs fill your pocket but adventures fill your soul.” – Jamie Lyn Beatty.
5. “Not I, nor anyone else can travel that road for you. You must travel it for yourself.” – Walt Whitman.
6. “The question isn't who is going to let me, it's who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand.
7. “If you have to wait for someone to travel with you, you may end up waiting a lifetime.” – Unknown.
8. “Sometimes your own transportation is a leap of faith.” – Margaret Shepard.
9. “Seek adventures that open your mind.” – Girl about the Globe.
10. “The goal is to die with memories not dreams.” – Anonymous.
11. “Life is an adventure. Take risks.” – Anonymous.
12. “I haven't been everywhere but it's on my list.” – Susan Sontag.
13. “Never let your memories be greater than your dreams.” – Douglas Ivester.
14. “It always seems impossible until it is done.” – Nelson Mandela.
15. “And then there is the most dangerous risk of all – the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.” – Randy Komisar.
Lonely Travel Quotes On The Road
Solo travel will leave you feeling liberated, empowered and full of confidence but there may be moments on the road when you need some extra encouragement to keep going especially if periods of loneliness hit you. These traveling alone quotes are for you when you need a pick-me-up during your solo trip.
16. “Traveling forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things: air, sleep, dreams, sea, the sky..” – Cesare Pavese.
17. “I think one travels more usefully when they travel alone because they reflect more.” – Thomas Jefferson.
18. “Sometimes you have to stand alone. Just to make sure you still can.” – Anonymous.
19. “A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu.
20. “A sense of loneliness and isolation is when the caterpillar gets its wings. Remember that next time you feel alone.” – Mandy Hale.
21. “The greatest bliss is being able to sit alone and be completely at peace. Needing no one. Needing nothing.” – Fearless Soul.
22. “I think it's very healthy to spend time alone. You need to know how to be alone and not be defined by another person.” – Oscar Wilde.
23. “Take only memories, leave only footprints.” – Chief Seattle.
24. “Every sunset brings the promise of a new dawn.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson.
The Transformation of Travel Quotes
Solo travel is transformational. Not just on an outward level but on an internal one. You may leave for a trip feeling lost and uncertain of your path in your life, but you're guaranteed to return with more clarity and feel happier with life. These quotes are a representation of the transformation of travel.
25. “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other places, other lives, other souls.” – Anais Nin.
26. “A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes.
27. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher.
28. “You must go on adventures to find out where you belong.” – Sue Fitzmaurice.
29. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust.
30. “Just because my path is different, doesn't mean I'm lost!” – Unknown.
31. “The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.” – Eleanor Roosevelt.
32. “Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.” – Henry David Thoreau.
33. “Once the travel big bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” – Michael Palin.
34. “Loving life is easy when you are abroad. Where no one knows you and you hold your life in your hands all alone, you are more master of yourself than at any other time.” – Hannah Arendt.
35. “We are all lost stars, trying to light up the sky.” – Adam Levine.
36. “It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” – Tony Robbins.
I hope these quotes for travelling alone have inspired you to travel solo, whether you are looking to plan a solo trip or are already on the road and need a boost. To inspire you even more, here are some inspiring women to make you want to get out of your comfort zone.
Roz had the perfect life: a job, a husband and a little red sports car but forward five years and she was divorced, homeless and alone in a tiny rowing boat in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean… Read Roz's interview here.
Ginger Kern – TEDx Speaker & Global Shaper
Ginger is the inspiring founder behind the Traveler’s Mindset, a movement to get people out of their comfort zone and into the zone where the magic happens. A TEDx speaker and Global Shaper as part of the World Economic Forum, Ginger speaks at events around the United States to share how Americans can travel, live, and work abroad. Watch Ginger's TEDx speech here.
If They Can Do It, So Can You!
Cherie King (aka The Travel Bee) is an inspiring young woman. Having encountered many difficulties as a deaf traveller, she decided to document her travels on her blog: The Flight of the Travel Bee to enlighten others about the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. * Read Cherie's interview
Hollie Carr is an author, TEDx speaker and co-founder of Rainmaker Foundation – a community dedicated to making the world a better place for all. Hollie is also a solo female traveller and it was during her trip to China to teach English that she discovered life-changing Chinese insights which became the inspiration behind her book – An Invitation to the Life of Your Dreams. * Listen to Hollie's TEDx talk
Great Women Travellers
An eighteenth-century British novelist, philosopher and advocate of women’s rights. Her way of travelling influenced Romantic writers and Mary is considered is a ‘modern’ heroine.
Known for her stand against the harsh treatment of slavery, after a two-year tour to the Americas in the nineteenth-century. Frances set up a hospital for those in need whilst dealing with her own mental illness.
A British Explorer who travelled to West and Central Africa at a time when women did not take dangerous trips to exotic locations. Mary influenced European ideas about Africa and its people in the Nineteenth-Century.