Located in Matagalpa, Nicaragua’s coffee region, Montebrisa Boutique B&B is the most stunning boutique property you will find in Nicaragua. Set in an urban oasis, with a mountain backdrop, there is a sense of privacy within its tall walls and eden surroundings. Everything here has been carefully thought out and designed, from the art deco grass, and landscape to a unique water fountain all delicately sculpted by hand.
This is truly a garden heaven for nature lovers, with mahogany trees, heliconias, birds of paradise, bow ties plants, and spanish flags, found amongst coffee trees in its sculptured gardens. Over 45 different ornamental plants are found within the grounds. Fruit trees with mango, grapefruit, guanabana, bananas and citrus fruits are abundant in this colourful paradise.
Was constructed in the mid 1940’s in art deco streamline modern. Restored and respected the original design by incorporating more modern features and elements. Lineal and minimal, the property feels exclusive with only eight rooms. There are four room types to choose from:
- Double queen garden view
- Queen balcony rooms
- Kind garden view room
- Queen interior room
I stayed in a queen balcony room which as all the other rooms, came with a flat screen television, a desk and chair (perfect for working), a phone for international dialling and super fast Wifi. As well as special black-out shades on all the windows for a great night’s sleep, with soft lighting at night.
There was lots of wardrobe space for my clothes, but the bonus was a balcony overlooking coffee trees and with a view of Apante Hill and cross which lights up at night.
And I also got to take a sneaky peak of the king garden view room which has got to be one of the largest hotel rooms, I’ve ever seen. Although I preferred my cosy queens which was in a different part of the hotel.
The bathroom is spacious and designed with precious wood and quartz to give the room a natural mineral touch. There is a hot rain shower with complimentary toiletries to use and lots of fluffy towels to dry yourself with. Plus the toilets and water showers are all ecological.
Why I love it!
I love the contemporary feel and the colours they have used and how they have kept its original design and blended it into a modern style which spreads throughout the whole property. The whole property is so tranquil and is perfect for those looking for somewhere to get away from it all in a unique setting.
And because it’s Nicaragua, the price is so cheap for what it is. Rooms start from $90 for a queen interior room plus 17% taxes.
This is truly a place to get away from it within a garden paradise.
Pros of Montebrisa Boutique B&B
- You feel totally secure within the property.
- It feels extremely private.
- You get breakfast included and can enjoy a home-made coffee made on the premises
- whilst admiring the coffee trees as you drink it.
- Full use of the large kitchen.
- Free bottled drinking water.
- Each room looks out onto the garden and the coffee trees.
- You can pre-order lunch and dinner such as pasta el pesto which is made on the premises.
- Rooms are only made up hours before a guest arrives so you can be sure of arriving to fresh sheets.
- Can arrange massages for just US $30 an hour.
- Laundry and dry cleaning service.
- Montebrisa can arrange personalised tours on request.
Cons: There aren’t any.
Friendly staff: So friendly, they almost feel like a personal assistant.
Cleanliness: Extremely clean.
Security: There is a security guard 24 hours a day, and high walls surrounding the property.
Location of Montebrisa Boutique B&B
The hotel is just 3 blocks away from Matagalpa’s Cathedral and is walking distance to the shops, cafes and restaurants. It’s conveniently located near Apante Hill, with a 33 metre cross situated on the top, which as well as being a pilgrimage centre of the Catholic church, is also a magnificent viewpoint.
Drinking fresh coffee made from local farmers. Being one of the best Matagalpa hotels, famous people have stayed here as well as coffee buyers from the USA.
Cafes & Restaurants Nearby
- A gorgeous Italian called La Vita e Bella.
- Restaurante Casa Blanca.
- Besame – good ice-cream.
- Baritsa Cafe Nica.
- Pasion Por El Cafe.
What is There to do in the Area?
- Matalgapa is the the biggest epicentre of coffee production in Nicaragua. You can pay a visit to a coffee farm.
- Trekking, hiking, rafting and mountain biking.
- Visit the National Coffee Museum.
- See the view at the top of El Calvario.
- Visit the Womens Co-operative – who are keeping alive the ancestors technique of weaving.
- Matagalpa tours have social cultural programmes and community tours, which includes lunch in one of the local women’s houses. Matalgalpa tours is just a short walk away and they can give you information about all their tours.
How To Get To Montebrisa Boutique B&B
Montebrisa can arrange pick ups from Managua for US $80, as well as Leon, and San Juan del Sur, (a normal airport taxi will cost $100). There is also a bus which runs from the airport to Matagalpa which costs 60 Cordovas for the 2.5 hour journey but it is on a chicken bus and only for the adventurous solo.
Type of Solo Traveller
Those looking for a tranquil environment within nature and wanting to see more of the “real” Nicaragua. Matagalpa can be included on a multi-centre itinerary for Nicaragua. Combine the colonial cities with the beach and the coffee region, for a perfect itinerary.
How to Book Montebrisa
Find out more on the Montebrisa Boutique B&B website:
TOP TIP: You simply have to try the baked bananas with cinnamon and cheese, a speciality in this area.
N.b. My stay at Montebrisa Boutique B&B was complimentary but as always, each opinion is my own and I only include the best accommodation for solo females within the hotel review section.