No more wall, no more trekking and no more pretending I am a contestant on ‘Wipe Out' as I scale the wall like a clumsy mountain goat. I have accomplished my mission and am feeling on top of the world (literally).
Here's a summary of my challenge:
- Day 1: Reconstructed (a tourist section of the reconstructed wall)
- Day 2: Sheer vastness (you can see how the wall goes on forever)
- Day 3: Extreme (Wipeout contestant)
- Day 4: Rugged & ruins (see how nature has claimed the wall back)
- Day 5: Terrifying (landslide and vertical)
A few facts about the Wall:
- You can't actually see the wall from space,
- It is approximately 6300km long,
- The altitude is over 500 meters (1,600 feet),
- The first parts of the Great Wall were built in the 7th Century BC,
- The wall was built as a defence against potential enemies and nomandic tribes.